St. James – Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871

Some cool short term loans images:

St. James – Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871
short term loans
Image by brizzle born and bred
There were 18 parish churches in medieval Bristol, 19 including St James. By the year 2000 13 remained in situ.

The fate of the other six was as follows: St Augustine-the-less was damaged in WW2 air raids. The ruins were demolished in the late 1960’s and the land was used for an extension to the adjoining hotel. St Ewens stood below the corner of Broad Street and Corn Street. It was consolidated with Christ Church in 1788 and demolished in 1820 to make way for the Council House. St Giles stood at the bottom of Small street and was closed as early as 1319. St Lawrence stood on the west side of St John’s and shared the present church tower. It closed in 1580. St Leonard like St John’s was built with its steeple above one of the old town gates but its was demolished in 1786 and its parish merged with St Nicholas. St Werburgh was dismantled in 1876 and moved to a the Baptist Mills area creating the present St Werburgh’s parish.

Many Bristol churches were damaged by WW2 air raids but only St Augustine (noted above) has disappeared completely. St Nicholas, by Bristol Bridge, was restored and for a time was a museum, it is currently used as office space by local council departments. Only the tower of St Mary-le-Port still stands, surrounded by post war ‘building’. St Peter remains as a ‘stabilised’ shell – retained as a memorial to local citizens "who died in the blitz during the 1939 – 1945 war". It is well presented as a ruin on the edge of the green space known as ‘Castle Green’ with terraces, a little herb garden and a water feature placed to the east. Similarly, Temple Church has been stabilised and its graveyard is now a fairly quiet garden.

Baptism Marriage and Death records for these churches and many others in the Bristol Diocese, are held in the Bristol Records Office. A hand list of all these records held (including non-conformist records) is now available on the BRO web site: click here

1. All Saints
2. St Augustine
3. Christchurch
4. St Ewen
5. St Giles
6. St James Priory
7. St John
8. St Lawrence
9. St Leonard
10. St Mary-le-Port
11. St Mary Redcliffe
12. St Michael
13. St Nicholas
14. St Peter
15. SS Philip and Jacob
16. St Thomas
17. St Stephen
18. St Werburgh
19. Temple (Holy Cross)

Mathews’ Bristol Street Directory 1871

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/sets/72157615750…

St James’ Back, Broadmead to Horsefair

Mrs Elizabeth Carter, butcher
?. Benardina, confectioner
Mrs Hurley, grocer
Back entrance to Police Station
Luigi Barni, junior, lodging house
Alfred Stinchcombe, beer retailer & lodging house keeper
Martin Brennan, furniture dealer
Elizabeth Bonino
Workman’s Hall – Frederick Grant, manager
Mrs John Gordy, tripe dealer
Henry Locke, baker
Benjamin Faux, grocer
George Marsh, tripe dealer
Mrs James Ellis, grocer
Thomas Rowe, boot maker
Hester Edgehill, greengrocer

(Little St. James’s Back)

Alfred Stinchcombe, public house
William Lawton, lodging house
St. Bartholomew’s Church & Schools
Mrs. Gibbs, lodging house
William Organ
John Young, lodging house

William Simmons, vict, Cooper’s Arms (pub) previously the Jolly Coopers. 1844 – 47 M. O. H. Nash / 1849 – 55 John Seaborne / 1856 to 1857 James Healey / 1858 – 59 James Cook / 1863 Edward Hughes 1865 – 68 George Webley / 1871 – 72 William Simmons / 1874 Edwin Porter / 1875 K. Brett / 1876 – 87 Samuel Rowe.

Michael O’Neil, vict, Harp (pub) (also listed as Tower Lane and Bridewell Street) 1847 – 51 Joseph Braddick / 1866 C. Maney / 1867 – 74 Michael O’Neil.

Thomas Morris, vict, Coach & Horses (pub) 1754 – 55 Christopher Mantle / 1764 Richard Wall / 1775 – 92 Edward Poole / 1794 – 1800 Mary Poole / 1806 Ann Carver 1816 John Hanson / 1820 – 22 John Stafford / 1823 George Sweet / 1828 Abraham Littlejohn / 1830 Michael Nash 1831 Elizabeth Hughes / 1832 to 1847 Richard Hands / 1848 to 1859 Ann Hands / 1860 – 61 Charles Doble 1863 – 65 Samuel Wellsford / 1866 to 1868 George Parry / 1869 William Rogers / 1871 – 72 Thomas Morris / 1874 – 79 Joseph Grimes 1879 Joseph Hodgson / 1881 – 1901 Henry Symes / 1904 Agnes Symes / 1906 Mrs. Philip Gill / 1909 Agnes Gill.

St James’ Barton, North Street to churchyard

Milton, Morton, & Curnow, grocers
Frederick Cordeux, draper, etc
John Jones, confectioner
Sharp and Granger, drapers
Bristol & West of England Furnishing Co. Ltd, William Cook, manager
John Matthews, cheesemonger
W. H. Pine, tailor
St. James’s National School
Edward Brodderick, tailor & draper
Samuel Sawtell, working jeweller
James Hammond, pawnbroker
Henry Alderson, cabinet maker
Henry Simmons, wholesale hat & cap manufacturer
John Sanders, carpenter and joiner
Edward Phelps
Abraham Morse, loan office
Joseph Chandler, stationer, etc
Phillips, Wearing, and Hunt, silk mercers & drapers
Henry Melsom, Barton house
Uriah Alsop, Lime Tree house

M. Clark, vict, Queen’s Head (pub) Today the pub would be standing somewhere near the steps leading down to the Horsefair. The pubwas lost in the blitz. William Mabey was also a cabinet maker with premises in nearby St.James’s Churchyard. bristolslostpubs.eu/page57.html

St James’ Churchyard, Bridewell Street to Barton

George Hayward Holmes, bill poster
Thomas Peake, chemist
Richard Jones, tobacconist
Stephen Greeden, butcher
J. Haydon, cane worker
Charles Fehernbach, clock maker
Mrs. Mary Dimond, russia material dealer
Henry Beethoven Keeler, pawnbroker
Uriah Richardson, professor of music
Mary Wall, widows milliner
Hubert Salter, tailor
Thomas W. Pickles, boot maker

John Bussell, vict, Carpenter’s Arms (pub) www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2054735375/ At the corner with Bond Street, part of the area cleared to make way for Lewis’s department store in the 1950’s. bristolslostpubs.eu/page21.html

Frederick James Walker vict, Rose & Crown (pub) bristolslostpubs.eu/page60.html

St James Parade, Bond Street to Lower Maudlin Street

www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2042235231/

Mahle and Harris, cabinet makers
Mrs Jane Naish, milliner
Francis Stanley, porter stores
John Russell, carpenter

Presbyterian Church www.churchcrawler.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bristolchurches/pr… visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do/st-james-priory-p501013

Mary Thomas
Mrs. Woods
Philip John Miles, general turner
Edwin Naish, loan office
William Henry Cox, gas-fitter, etc
?. Downing

St. James’s Church – Rev. William Bruce, M.A. The oldest church in Bristol that’s still in operation, founded between 1124 and 1137 by the Earl of Gloucester. visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do/st-james-priory-p501013

Dilean Hasquencort, plumber
Charles Webster & Co. pawnbrokers
Mary Bragg

St James Place, Gloster Street, Clifton Down

St James Square, near Milk Street

Jesse Knee, deal furniture manufacturer
Edwin Phelps, loan office

(Regent Place)

Walter Weaver
Thomas Cruwys, tailor
Henry White
Thomas Hill
John Durling, tailor
John Paddon, tailor
William Gibbons Vowles, organ builder
Young Men’s Christian Association – Sec. W. Henry Williams
William Trapnell
Charles Challenger
John Cottrell, coach builder
Stephen Bewley, Byron house
Mrs Ellison, dress & mantle maker
Temporary Home, secretary, Mrs. Walker
Mrs Sarah Cross
M. Maund

(St. James’s Terrace)

Sarah Davis
William Buck
Mrs Bodman
James Diment, builder
George Monks
William Coxon
Henry Williams, builder, etc
William Hole & Co. manufacturers’ agent
Henry Hunt

St James’s Square Avenue, St James’ Square to Milk Street

Henry and Walter Lee
Henry Western, bootmaker
Peter Clark, general smith
J. Percival, musician
Thomas Lucas, boot maker
J. Potter, tailor
Mrs Collins
Edward Poole
?. Muxworthy
Thomas Elworthy

St James’s Terrace, St James’s Square

St James’s and St Paul’s Benevolent Schools, St James’s Barton

Founded in 1790. Aimed to teach ‘religious and industrial habits among the children of the poor.’ . In May 1839 at the 49th anniversary the children were assembled at 10am in the schoolhouse and publicly examined. They then walked in procession accompanied by the Friends of the Society to St Paul’s Church for divine service and then returned to the school. In 1848 the examination was held in June and it was reported that they were given a cake and a glass of wine on their return to the schoolroom!

At the January 1858 distribution of awards, the best 60 scholars received a reference bible and the best 6 were also given 2 guineas each in addition. The event was concluded with a magic lantern show.

Two months later an advertisement was in the newspaper for a pupil teacher. The candidate , who must not be under 13 years of age, had to be prepared immediately to pass the preliminary examination. In 1854 there were 200 boys and 100 girls. In 1898 there were 270 boys, 170 girls and 220 infants. Demolished 1970.

Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Mr Wyreman 1854 Mr C Serjeant (Master), Miss Heaton (Mistress) 1861 Mr Coles (Master), Miss Leach (Mistress), Mrs Pearson (Infants’ Mistress) 1885 Mr Coles (Master), Miss Leech (Girls’ Mistress), Miss Batt (Infants’ Mistress) 1898.

Notes: In 1858 S P Howell from the school was made a Queen’s Scholar, being entitled to 3 years’ education at one of Her Majesty’s Training Colleges free of charge. In February 1859 he was reported as being among the successful candidates for Government Certificate sitting at Highbury College.

At the boys’ school at the January 1886 distribution of prizes there was a juvenile concert and play. Taking part in the concert were ‘Masters Aust, W Wilmott, J Chiswell, E O’Leary and W Holbrook who distinguished themselves’.

St James’s Infant School, Barton Street, St James

In 1861 for 160 children.

Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Mr and Mrs Hawkins (Teachers) 1861

Notes: At the Christmas examination 1859 Jane Elizabeth Brookman of the school was awarded a First Class Queen’s Scholarship. It was noted that she was the first pupil teacher that Mr Hawkins had had the opportunity of sending up.

St James’s Ragged School, Marlborough Hill (in 1854 St James’s Back), St James

This commenced August 1st 1840, described as a free school for destitute girls and boys, open to persons of all denominations and assisted by gratuitous teachers. Mornings were 9-12, afternoons were 2- 4 (an industrial school) evenings 7-9pm.In 1898 about 225 children, mixed boys, girls and infants.

The length of the main room was 30 ft 3 ins and the breadth 23 ft 6 ins.
The length of the babies’ room was 31 ft 10 ins and the breadth 19 ft.
The length of the cloakroom was 13 ft 6 ins and the breadth was 11 ft 2 ins.

Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Mr Andrews (Master), Sarah Andrews (Mistress) 1848 Mr Andrews (Master), Mrs Andrews (Mistress) 1854 Miss Jackson (Mistress) 1885

Notes: At the commencement of the school holidays in December 1859 185 children were provided by the Friends of Education among the Poorer Classes with a substantial dinner of beef and plum pudding. Among those who ‘assembled to witness this interesting sight’ were Miss Carpenter, Miss F Hill, Mr and Mrs Thomas, Mr Worsley, Mr Commissioner Hill and Rev E Chapman..

In January 1861 young William Pearce was brought before Bristol Police Court for creating a disturbance Mr Skinner, the master, said that between six and seven pm the William and a number of others evtered and commenced shouting and creating a disturbance. He asked them to stop but they refuised. William appeared to be the ringleader amd a constable was called to take him into custody. However the magistrates decided that Mr Skinner hadn’t made an adequate case and William was discharged, promising to behave better in future.

When Amy Perry, one of the teachers who didn’t have a very good attendance record, left she was succeeded on March 30th 1894 by Kate A Jackson

Each teacher was responsible for the work of their class for the year

April 6th 1894 – annual inspection by Government Inspectors. Weekly average at this time was 182 children.

There was constant restricting of admission because of fears of overcrowding at this time.

Weeks commencing May 18th and May 25th – holiday

Often children were noted as being re-admitted after anything from 4 to 8 months’ absence through illness. Short term illness was often mentioned, though not children by name, as having colds, eruption of the skin, and eyes, chicken pox.

Nov 16th was described as bringing very wet weather and many children were ill.
January 18th 1895 Rev W Davies visited the school and gave one penny to every child who had been on time for the admission register (54 of them)

March 30th 1895 – Many children had chicken pox and measles and the numbers fell to an average of 104

In 1895 became an Infant school only.

June 19th 1897 tickets for tea and gifts were distributed in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee.

The August holiday that year was increased from 3 weeks to 4 because of painting and alterations.

At this time there were 12 Jewish children in the school, mentioned because they were absent at Jewish holiday time

information source www.bristolinformation.co.uk/schools/

Vasa Parrot (Coracopsis vasa)
short term loans
Image by wallygrom
Kaleta Reserve, near Amboasary in southern Madagascar. The bird is sitting in a Tamarind tree.

From Wikipedia –
The Greater Vasa Parrot (Coracopsis vasa) is one of two species of Vasa Parrot, the other being the Lesser Vasa Parrot (C. nigra). The Greater Vasa Parrot can be found throughout Madagascar and the Comoros. In Madagascar it is more common in portions of the Madagascar dry deciduous forests, compared with the Lesser Vasa Parrot which is more common in the humid forests of the east coast.

There are three subspecies –
Coracopsis vasa, (Shaw) 1812
Coracopsis vasa comorensis, (Peters,W) 1854
Coracopsis vasa drouhardi, Lavauden 1929

Also from Wikipedia –

Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) (from Latinization of Arabic: تمر هندي tamar Hind "Indian Date") is a tree in the family Fabaceae. The genus Tamarindus is monotypic (having only a single species).

Tamarindus indica is indigenous to tropical Africa, particularly where it continues to grow wild in Sudan – it is also cultivated in Cameroon, Nigeria and Tanzania. In Arabia it is found wild growing in Oman, especially Dhofar, where it grows on sea-facing mountains. It reached South Asia likely through human transportation, and cultivation several thousand years prior to the Common Era. It is widely distributed throughout the Tropical belt, from Africa to South Asia, and throughout South East Asia, Taiwan and as far as China. In the 16th century it was heavily introduced to Mexico, as well as South America, by Spanish and Portuguese colonists, to the degree that it became a common ingredient in everyday living.

One of the first tamarind trees in Hawaii was planted in 1797.

Description –
The tamarind is a long-lived, medium-growth bushy tree which attains a maximum crown height of 12.1 to 18.3 metres (40 to 60 feet). The crown has an irregular vase-shaped outline of dense foliage. The tree grows well in full sun in clay, loam, sandy, and acidic soil types, with a high drought and aerosol salt (wind-borne salt as found in coastal area) resistance.

Leaves are evergreen, bright green in colour, elliptical ovular, arrangement is alternate, of the pinnately compound type, with pinnate venation and less than 5 cm (2 inches) in length. The branches droop from a single, central trunk as the tree matures and is often pruned in human agriculture to optimize tree density and ease of fruit harvest. At night, the leaflets close up.

The tamarind does flower, though inconspicuously, with red and yellow elongated flowers. Flowers are 2.5 cm wide (one inch) five-petalled borne in small racemes, yellow with orange or red streaks. Buds are pink as the 4 sepals are pink and are lost when the flower blooms.

The fruit is an indehiscent legume, sometimes called a pod, 12 to 15 cm (3 to 6 inches) in length with a hard, brown shell. The fruit has a fleshy, juicy, acidulous pulp. It is mature when the flesh is coloured brown or reddish-brown. The tamarinds of Asia have longer pods containing 6-12 seeds, whereas African and West Indian varieties have short pods containing 1-6 seeds. The seeds are somewhat flattened, and glossy brown.

The tamarind is best described as sweet and sour in taste, and high in acid, sugar, vitamin B and, interestingly for a fruit, calcium.

As a tropical species, it is frost sensitive. The pinnate leaves with opposite leaflets giving a billowing effect in the wind. Tamarind timber consists of hard, dark red heartwood and softer, yellowish sapwood.

Tamarind is harvested by pulling the pod from its stalk. A mature tree may be capable of producing up to 175 kg (350 lb) of fruit per annum. Veneer grafting, shield (T or inverted T) budding, and air layering may be used to propagate desirable selections. Such trees will usually fruit within 3 to 4 years if provided optimum growing conditions.

Alternative names –
Globally, it is most numerous in South Asia, where it is widely distributed and has a long history of human cultivation. Many South Asian regional languages have their own unique name for the tamarind fruit. It is called the tetul (তেঁতুল) in Bangla; in India it is known in several languages. In Sanskrit, it is called tintiDi. In Oriya it is called tentuli, in Hindi it is called imli; In Gujarati the amli, and Marathi and Konkani the chinch; in Kannada it is called hunase (ಹುಣಸೆ), Telugu chintachettu (tree) and chintapandu (fruit extract) and in Malayalam its called Vaalanpuli (വാളന്‍പുളി ). In Pakistan in Urdu it is known as imli. In Sri Lanka in Sinhala call it the siyambala; and Northern areas in Tamil also as the puli (புளி). In the Cook Islands in Cook Islands Maori Māori Kūki Āirani or Rarotonganis language Tamarindus is called ‘tamarene’.

In Indonesia, tamarind is known as the asam (or asem) Jawa (means Javanese asam), which in the Indonesian language, translates as Javanese sour [sic: fruit] (though the literature may also refer to it as sambaya). In Malaysia, it is also called "asam Jawa". In the Philippines, tamarind is referred to as Sampaloc, which is occasionally rendered as Sambalog in Tagalog and Sambag in Cebuano. Vietnamese term is me. In Taiwan it is called loan-tz. In Myanmar it is called magee-bin (tree) and magee-thee (fruit). The tamarind is the provincial tree of the Phetchabun province of Thailand (in Thailand it is called ma-kham). In Malagasy it is called voamadilo and kily.

In Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Venezuela it is called tamarindo. In the Caribbean, tamarind is sometimes called tamon.

Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) should not be confused with the Manila tamarind (Pithecellobium dulce), which is a different plant, though also of Fabaceae.

The fruit pulp is edible and popular. The hard green pulp of a young fruit is considered by many to be too sour and acidic, but is often used as a component of savory dishes, as a pickling agent or as a means of making certain poisonous yams in Ghana safe for human consumption.

The ripened fruit is considered the more palatable as it becomes sweeter and less sour (acidic) as it matures. It is used in desserts as a jam, blended into juices or sweetened drinks, sorbets, ice-creams and all manner of snack. It is also consumed as a natural laxative.
In Western cuisine it is found in Worcestershire sauce, and HP sauce.

In Indian cuisine it is common. Imli Chutney and Pulusu use it. Along with tamarind, sugar and spices are added to (regional) taste for chutneys or a multitude of condiments for a bitter-sweet flavor. The immature pods and flowers are also pickled and used as a side dish. Regional cuisines such as Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh use it to make Rasam, Sambhar, Vatha Kuzhambu and Puliyogare. In Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, tender leaves of tamarind are used along with lentils and it is also dried and used in place of ripe tamarind for mild flavour.

In Guadeloupe, tamarind is known as Tamarinier and is used in jams and syrups.
In Mexico, it is sold in various snack forms: dried and salted; or candied (see for example pulparindo or chamoy snacks). The famous agua fresca beverage, iced fruit-bars and raspados all use it as the main ingredient. In the US, Mexican immigrants have fashioned the "agua de tamarindo" drink, the Jarritos Tamarind drink (the first introduced and second most popular flavour of the brand), and many other treats. Tamarind snacks such as Mexico’s Pelon Pelo Rico, are available in specialty food stores worldwide in pod form or as a paste or concentrate.
In Egypt, a sour, chilled drink made from tamarind is popular during the summer.

A traditional food plant in Africa, tamarind has potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development and support sustainable landcare.

In southern Kenya, the Swahili people use it to garnish legumes and also make juices. In Madagascar, its fruits and leaves are a well-known favorite of the Ring-tailed Lemurs, providing as much as 50% of their food resources during the year if available. In Northern Nigeria, it is used with millet powder to prepare Kunun Tsamiya, a traditional Pap mostly used as breakfast, and usually eaten with bean cake.

The Javanese dish gurame and more so ikan asem, also known as ikan asam (sweet and sour fish, commonly a carp or river-fish) is popular throughout Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Tamarind is also common in Manado, Sulawesi and Maluku cuisines.

In Lebanon, the Kazouza company sells a tamarind-flavoured carbonated beverage.

In Myanmar, young and tender leaves and flower buds are eaten as a vegetable. A salad dish of tamarind leaves, boiled beans, and crushed peanuts topped with crispy fried onions is very popular in rural Myanmar.

In the Philippines, tamarind is used in foods like sinigang soup, and also made into candies. The leaves are also used in sinampalukan soup.

In Thailand a specific cultivar has been bred specifically to be eaten as a fresh fruit, famous for being particular sweet and minimally sour. It is also sometimes eaten preserved in sugar with chili as a sweet-and-spicy candy. Pad Thai, a Thai dish popular with Westerners often include tamarind for its tart/sweet taste (with lime juice added for sourness and fish sauce added for saltiness). A tamarind-based sweet-and-sour sauce served over deep-fried fish is also a common dish in central Thailand.

Medicinal uses –
Phytochemical studies revealed the presence of tannins, saponins, sesquiterpenes, alkaloids and phlobatamins and other extracts active against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, at temperatures of 4–30 °C (39–86 °F). Studies on the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) and minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) of the extracts on the test organisms showed that the lowest MIC and the MBC were demonstrated against Salmonella paratyphi, Bacillus subtilis and Salmonella typhi and the highest MIC and MBC was exhibited against Staphylococcus aureus.

Throughout Asia and Africa it is common for health remedies. In Northern Nigeria, fresh stem bark and fresh leaves are used as decoction mixed with potash for the treatment of stomach disorder, general body pain, jaundice, yellow fever and as blood tonic and skin cleanser. In Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines and Javanese traditional medicine use asem leaves as a herbal infusion for malarial fever, the fruit juice as an anti-septic, and scurvy and even cough cure.

Fruit of the tamarind is also commonly used throughout South East Asia as a poultice applied to foreheads of fever sufferers.

Tamarind is used as in Indian Ayurvedic Medicine for gastric and/or digestion problems, and in cardioprotective activity.

In animal studies, tamarind has been found to lower serum cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Due to a lack of available human clinical trials, there is insufficient evidence to recommend tamarind for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol) or diabetes.

Based on human study, tamarind intake may delay the progression of fluorosis by enhancing excretion of fluoride. However, additional research is needed to confirm these results.

Excess consumption has been noted as a traditional laxative.

Other medicinal uses include: Anthelminthic (expels worms), antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, asthma, astringent, bacterial skin infections (erysipelas), boils, chest pain, cholesterol metabolism disorders, colds, colic, conjunctivitis (pink eye), constipation (chronic or acute), diabetes, diarrhea (chronic), dry eyes, dysentery (severe diarrhea), eye inflammation, fever, food preservative, food uses (coloring), gallbladder disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, gingivitis, hemorrhoids, indigestion, insecticide, jaundice, keratitis (inflammation of the cornea), leprosy, liver disorders, nausea and vomiting (pregnancy-related), paralysis, poisoning (Datura plant), rash, rheumatism, saliva production, skin disinfectant/sterilization, sore throat, sores, sprains, sunscreen, sunstroke, swelling (joints), urinary stones, wound healing (corneal epithelium).

In temples, especially in Buddhist Asian countries, the fruit pulp is used to polish brass shrine furniture, removing dulling and the greenish patina that forms.

The wood is a bold red color. Due to its density and durability, tamarind heartwood can be used in making furniture and wood flooring. A tamarind switch is sometimes used as an implement for corporal punishment.

Tamarind trees are very common throughout Asia and the tropical world as both an ornamental, garden and cash-crop. The tamarind has recently become popular in bonsai culture, frequently used in Asian countries like Indonesia, Taiwan and the Philippines. In the last Japan Airlines World Bonsai competition, Mr. Budi Sulistyo of Indonesia won the second prize with an ancient tamarind bonsai.

The seeds are sometimes used by children in traditional board games such as Chinese checkers (China), Dhakon (Java), and others.

The tamarind tree is the official plant of Santa Clara, Cuba. Consequently it appears in the coat of arms of the city.

Pawnbrokers (Bristol)
short term loans
Image by brizzle born and bred
image above: Bristol Pawnbrokers Ticket, Silas/Russell, October 1812

Bristol pawnbrokers today, you can count on your fingers of one hand but, according to Wright’s Street Directory for 1892, there were once over 50 and it listed them in three walks so that you could call on them all without going over the same ground twice.

New age of pawnbrokers?

At a time when small firms continue to complain that banks are unwilling to lend, pawnbrokers across the UK are reporting a big rise in the number of business people coming to them for short-term loans.

See links below for Bristol Pawnbrokers

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2093497041/

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2078704608/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons